"Give me books, French wine, fruit, fine weather, and a little music played out of doors by somebody I do not know." - John Keats

"You're not allowed to say anything about books because they're books and books are, you know, God." - Nick Hornby

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Review #33: White Trash Beautiful, by Teresa Mummert

I pulled this off of NetGalley because, well, I liked the title. I was looking for something mindless and kind of fluffy, and clearly, a title like White Trash Beautiful was going to deliver.

Except it didn't.

Cass is stuck in a dead end job at the local diner, living in a run-down trailer with her drug addict mother and boyfriend Jax, when Tucker White, the lead singer of an up and coming band, wanders in to her life. Tucker has Knight in Shining Armor Syndrome, which means that he must save Cass from her horrible life. Cass evidently has no brains left in her head, because despite the fact that she says she has to save herself, she turns to Tucker time and again.

There are backstories and conflict and lots of motorcycle rides on dark country roads, but I'm not going to recount any of it. None of it serves to make the book any better, or the characters any more redeeming. The writing isn't great, but it's better than some of the other stuff I've managed to find this year. With a lot of editing (and I mean a lot), and a little bit of a conclusion change, this could have been a good story, but instead it was just another trashy romance novel, with not a lot of romance.

I was hoping for some campy fun, and instead I got a dark, depressing "romance" novel that just reinforced the Guy Saves Girl plotline, which I'm kind of tired of. Just once I want to see the girl save herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment