"Give me books, French wine, fruit, fine weather, and a little music played out of doors by somebody I do not know." - John Keats

"You're not allowed to say anything about books because they're books and books are, you know, God." - Nick Hornby

Friday, January 18, 2013

Review #6: Married in Haste, by Cathy Maxwell

In my defense, the cover on the "under $2.99" section on my Nook did not look like the cover in the picture I have here.

This is a typical vaguely 18th/19th century English romance novel. Here's a question: did other countries exist back there, or only England and her surrounding islands? These books are never set anywhere but London. Sometimes, if the hero or heroine needs to be particularly unsavory, they're from Ireland, or America if they're really unsuitable, but other than that, it's all fog and dampness all the time. Ick.

Anyway, I digress.

Tess is an heiress, a member of the ton (that term has always bothered me), and her brother and his pain in the ass wife are looking to marry her off. (I'm so glad I wasn't alive back then.) Enter the dashing Brenn Owen, the newly installed earl of a village in Wales. (See? Unsavory and from Not London.) Brenn is gorgeous but sullen, Tess is willful and smart, so of course they're going to be thrown together and forced to marry. They both have secrets, though, which come to light after the marriage takes place, and which put the future of Brenn's earldom in danger. Tess is resourceful, though, and she comes up with a plan to save the day.

The book's okay. It's like a million other romance novels, but it's okay enough to download for 99 cents and have on your e-reader while you're waiting at red lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment