"Give me books, French wine, fruit, fine weather, and a little music played out of doors by somebody I do not know." - John Keats

"You're not allowed to say anything about books because they're books and books are, you know, God." - Nick Hornby

Friday, February 15, 2013

Review #10: Eat, Drink, and be from Mississippi, by Nanci Kincaid

I've sat on this review for a week or two, mainly because I'm not sure what to say about it. Eat, Drink, and be from Mississippi follows the story of Truely Noonan, a young man from Mississippi who lights out for the fortunes of California as soon as he is legal. He falls in love, makes his millions, and loses his love. He drifts through life, meeting a young teenage boy through a convoluted series of events, and winds up almost adopting him. His sister's marriage falls apart, she becomes more involved in his life, and he realizes that family sometimes finds you, whether you want them to or not.

Eat, Drink is an okay book. It's not fantastic, and it didn't leave me on the edge of my seat. There were a few twists I didn't see coming, and I was relatively satisfied with the ending. I wish that Kincaid had fleshed out her characters a little bit more, though. It's like she edited out huge sections that would have given her characters heart and empathy and sympathy and soul.

I probably would have put this book down and wandered away from it, save the fact that I feel like I invested too much time in to it to not finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment